Wednesday, August 11, 2004

I've been negligent

Yes, of you, my reader. I have no excuse and I apologize about that.

And now, for some content.

The housewarming/engagement party went well. Lots of people showed up and seemed to have a good time. The last of the guests left in the neighborhood of 3am. Emily got a little drunk. She's very funny when she's like that.

My brother, Jeffrey (hello, reader!), and his wife, Kristi, came down from Dallas for our party. It was very nice of them and I'm glad they did so. Ironically, they stayed at my ex-wife's place while she was out of town.

On Sunday, after the party, Emily and I met them at Fado's for lunch. Afterwards, we set up the smaller TV in the bedroom and watched The Bourne Identity on DVD. This was all a prelude to watching The Bourne Supremacy Sunday evening.

Let me tell you, it sucked. Contrary to what you might have heard (or might be telling people - yes YOU, reader), it doesn't begin to compare to the first one. Actually, it might not have been too bad, but having just watched The Bourne Identity (which is superb), and expecting The Bourne Supremacy to be better (it wasn't), it was one hell of a let down.

The camera work is jittery, I think to make it look grittier or more realistic, but it's just annoying. The car chase, which seemed like half the movie, seemed like any other car chase you've already seen a million times. And the development of the new characters was disappointing.

My advice is to wait for it to come out on HBO.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeffrey Davidson said...

Okay, let's be honest, I am that reader who said the second one was better. Maybe I was wrong, but then I didn't see them back to back. I did see The Bourne Supremacy back-to-back with I, Robot, and trust me, Ludlum wrote a better screenplay than Asimov.

But as to the jittery, hand-held camera stuff, it works much better, and reinforces the movie if you think of it as an allegory for Bourne's own confusion. Of course, I read this in a review prior to seeing it and it shaped the experience for me. You didn't and the movie sucked that much more for it.

Sorry

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home